Name Changes 

New as of 2015 you will be expected to put your future name on the marriage license application (the groom as well). Whether or not you are changing your name, you'll need to put that information down for the town clerk at the time you obtain the marriage license. They will fill it out and the final document will be issued with your new name. 

Once the Justice of the Peace has returned your marriage license to the town you received it from, you will need to ask that town clerk for a copy of the license. Once you have that, then you can call Social Security at 800-772-1213 and follow the automated instructions. Then they will send you a new social security card.

Once you have that, you can go to your state's DMV/RMV with your new social security card and the official copy of the marriage license. It's best to wait until after the honeymoon if you intend to change your passport, as you might need that for travel.


Marriage License

Prior to your wedding day, you will both need to get your marriage license from any Town Clerk or Town Hall in New Hampshire. There is no waiting period but the license will expire after 90 days. Witnesses and blood tests are not needed in NH.

You will need to go together and bring proof of age as well as proof of any previous marriages ended by divorce or death.  Please discuss with the Town Clerk how to obtain copies of the certificate, once it has been turned in by the Justice of the Peace. The Town Clerk is the one who generates the final formal document, not the Justice of the Peace. The town or city will need you to formally request those copies and yes, you'll need to pay for them too. 
If you have found information on line that says there "is a three day waiting period" or that you "need to obtain the license in the town that you intend to marry in," this is false and well-out of date information. Both requirements were dropped because they put a burden on the couple. Additionally, many locations in NH are within unincorporated townships and therefore, there is no town hall to go to. 
see  NH Elopements for more information

 In NH, a marriage may be performed by :

  • A justice of the peace
  • A minister of the gospel in NH ordained according to the usage of his denomination, residing in NH, and is in regular standing with the denomination.
  • A minister within his parish, residing outside NH, but having a pastoral charge wholly or partly in NH
  • Jewish Rabbis who are citizens of the U.S. and resident in this state
  • Quakers
  • Deacon in the Roman Catholic Church ordained according to the usage of his denomination:
  • Clergymen who are not ordained and non-resident ministers or Jewish Rabbis, after being licensed by the Secretary of State. The application for the special license is on the NH Secretary of State Web site. Reference this web site for additional information and clarification on other persons permitted to perform marriages within the state.

A license may be issued the same day of the application, provided all signatures and statutory requirements are met.

You can use ANY town hall in the State of New Hampshire but here are some links to ones near where I do most of my ceremonies: 
Jackson Can schedule appointments during times they are usually closed
Bartlett/Intervale/Glen  has Saturday hours
Wakefield has some weekend hours
And some on the border of Massachusetts and NH which have proven helpful to my clients from outside New Hampshire: 
Salem open Monday nights
Manchester open Tuesday nights 
Pelham  open Tuesday nights
Plaistow open Monday nights
Derry open Wednesday nights 
And for those getting married in Maine I am able to perform weddings in Maine as an onlined ordained minister with the Universal Life Church Monastery